Friday, September 7, 2012

Teaching English


I (Nathan) never liked school growing up.  While in elementary school I would sometimes run and hide in a near by field so I did not have to go.  In junior high I was bullied and in high school I would show up, go to class, and then go to work. My grades were average and could have been better if I would have put forth a little more effort.

My feelings about school changed during my junior year of high school when I enrolled at Warren Tech, a vocational school.  I studied travel, tourism, and hospitality.  That year changed my view about school and changed my life.  My teacher, Sharon, invested everything she had into her students and her class.  Without that class and Sharon, I don’t think I would have ever continued on to college.  Without graduating from college my family would not be in Thailand doing what we are doing.

One of the ways I have been serving the Thai community has been through teaching English.  I have had the opportunity to teach hotel staff, vocational students, and vocational teachers from all over Thailand.  While I have enjoyed doing this, I never had a chance to build relationships with the students because I would be with a different group of students each week.

Recently I have been given an opportunity to teach english at a vocational college to travel, tourism, and hospitality students.  This will be with the same students each week starting in October through February.  It is amazing to be able to look back over 15 years and see how God was preparing me for my time in Thailand, even when I was a junior in high school.  I am so excited to build relationships with these students and share my love of travel and my love of God with them.

Please pray that I will be bold in sharing the Gospel and that God will begin to work on the heart of the students.   

Teaching English

Vocational Teachers from all over Thailand

1 comment: